Sunday, June 28, 2015

Disappeared

Two friends disappeared this year.
One retired and died in the winter. The other retired and died in the summer.
Anne was kind, gentle, soft-spoken. Always a smile to share.
Dawne was fierce, powerful, tough. With wisdom to pass on to others.

They are gone now.

In my retirement, opportunities are waiting for me.

I can become a foster parent, providing a welcoming home for vulnerable children.
This would make Anne happy.

I have been accepted into the University of Surrey in England where I can earn my law degree. I can fight for human rights.
Dawne would approve.

I can do anything I want.
Perhaps nothing for a while.

I will celebrate my stupid luck. I am alive.

In my retirement I will try to honour these women.
Disappeared from sight.

But always in my heart.        

                           

School's out.


©Conni Cartlidge, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment