Monday, March 27, 2017

March Walk






When the culverts gulp slush.
When I avoid the noise of screens.
When the chickadees giggle around the feeder.
When cleats steady my feet on sheets of ice.


When winter disintegrates.
When the baby girl cries till the sunshine surprises her.
When it is not pouring buckets.
When the brisk wind wakes our spirits.
When the darkened leaves melt the snow where they lay.


When I have no direction but the gravel road ahead of me.
When the bare trees look feeble.
When I stomp through the prairie muck.
When the maple seed helicopters touch down.
When the skinned coyote carcasses transform into skeletons with furry Ugg boot paws.


When the creek climbs over the cracked bridge.
When the clear sky brings open hopefulness.
When a steady routine stabilizes.
When we walk softly. Together.



©Conni Cartlidge    March 27, 2017



No comments:

Post a Comment